In my case I'm looking to write assemblies in C# that makes use of
modules defined in IronPython that others can use without having to
know or care that they use IronPython (except for having to have the
IronPython dlls around). Things are complicated by the fact that some
of the modules used need to have a single global environment. If C#
assemblies A and B both use IronPython assembly C, A and B need to
use the same PythonEngine or things won't work right. And if A and B
are being used from IronPython, then they need to use the
PythonEngine of the caller.

So I guess I need some sort of magic that when a call is made into
the assembly it looks back up the call stack to see if there is a
PythonEngine, and if so uses that one. If not create its own and then
keep that one around for the next time the assembly is entered
without a PythonEngine in the call stack.