You talk about adjusting your PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH in your .bashrc
 Jeff Squyres has given you some guidance on this.
Please investigate the following.
It is common to use Modules in an HPC environment
https://www.admin-magazine.com/HPC/Articles/Lmod-Alternative-Environment-Modules

For compiling software packages and creating Modules files investigate
these frameworks:
https://spack.io/
https://easybuild.io/