I think the problem is in the following section of the sunstone-server.rb
        begin
            result = cloud_auth.auth(request.env, params)
        rescue Exception => e
            error 500, e.message
        end

the exception is captured and is not shown in the login screen, instead you
get a "OpenNebula is not running" error.

In order to debug, can you add the following line to find out what is the
cause:
        begin
            result = cloud_auth.auth(request.env, params)
        rescue Exception => e
            STDERR.puts "DEBUGGING #{e.message}"
            error 500, e.message
        end

In next versions we will add a debug flag in order to ease this task.

--
Daniel Molina
Project Engineer