Javier,
I've tried successfully using the ldap client utils:

With invalid password:
oneadmin@opennebula:~$ ldapsearch -h ad.mydomain.com -D cn=acalvo,cn=Users,dc=mydomain,dc=com -W
Enter LDAP Password:
ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)
    additional info: Simple Bind Failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

With valid password:
oneadmin@opennebula:~$ ldapsearch -h ad.mydomain.com -D cn=acalvo,cn=Users,dc=mydomain,dc=com -W
Enter LDAP Password:
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <> (default) with scope subtree
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: ALL
#

We are not using SSL at this moment (I think it was advised not to use it in the documentation).

LDAP configuration:
    :user: 'cn=readonly,cn=users,dc=mydomain,dc=com'
    :password: 'mybindpassword'
    :auth_method: :simple
    :host: ad.mydomain.com
    :port: 389
    :base: 'cn=Users,dc=mydomain,dc=com'

AD configuration:
    :user: 'reado...@mydomain.com'
    :password: 'mybindpassword'
    :auth_method: :simple
    :host: ad.mydomain.com
    :port: 389
    #:encryption: :simple_tls
    :base: 'cn=Users,dc=mydomain,dc=com'

In both cases, the output is the same:
oneadmin@opennebula:~$ ./remotes/auth/default/authenticate acalvo badpassword badpassword
Trying server server 1
ldap acalvo CN=acalvo,CN=Users,DC=mydomain,DC=com

Cheers