That's a bit more complicated.

ssl:// = client uses a dedicated port for these connections and directly
start talking encrypted to the server (negotiate encryption ciphers)

tls:// (in fact, it's not tls by itself, but STARTTLS) = client uses the
regular unencrypted port, start talking in plain unencrypted text saying
"STARTTLS" which means "I want to talk to you in an encrypted tunnel"
and only then start talking encrypted (negotiate encryption ciphers)

both postfix and dovecot support both methods. There are a lot of good
tutorial on internet for their configuration.

--
Sébastien
圣巴斯弟盎