Ok I reached something that I feared with maven: unable to get dependency.

When I try to build my project, i get this:

Project ID: org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin

Reason: Error getting POM for 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin'
from the repository: Unable to read local copy of metadata: Cannot read
metadata from
'/home/usr/.m2/repository/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-site-plugin/maven-metadata-maven2-repository.dev.java.net.xml':
end tag name </body> must match start tag name <hr> from line 7 (position:
TEXT seen ...</address>\n</body>... @9:8)
  org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:pom:LATEST

 for project org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin

I checked
/home/usr/.m2/repository/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-site-plugin/maven-metadata-maven2-repository.dev.java.net.xml
file and it gives me:

<title>301 Moved Permanently</title>
</head><body>
<h1>Moved Permanently</h1>
http://download.java.net/maven/2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-site-plugin/maven-metadata.xml
here .</p>
<hr>
<address>Apache Server at maven2-repository.dev.java.net Port 443</address>

If I go to the specified link it says "Page cannot be found".  Am I
permanently stuck?  I searched my project for maven-site-plugin and did not
find anything.  Why is it trying to get that anyway?  Is the repository down
and I can NOT compile until it reopens?  Please advise me how to fix it.  I
am a maven newbie.  However, I do know for a fact that this same build
worked a month ago!  Please advise me on what to do.