On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 04:21:35PM -0400, Justin Edelson wrote:
[snip]
> In all seriousness, you should publish this as "Ron's Best Practices".

I'll second that.  If you want a Maven Best Practices document, the
surest way to get one is to start writing it.

> If you put something up on Lulu or whatever, I would read it and I would
> probably recommend it to others. There isn't enough documentation about
> Maven; I just don't think the community can produce the type of
> documentation you're describing.

Depending on what you mean by "produce", I may have to disagree here.

Community input is vital to discovering which Practices are Best.  One
doesn't just sit and think until a nice neat list of BPs drops into
one's brain; one collects a *lot* of stories about what has worked and
not worked, looking for patterns.  It can't be done without the
community's data, and it may be done much more easily and quickly if
community members discuss and debate the meaning of the data as they
accumulate.

I don't mean to say that a sea of voices, all equal, will necessarily
produce a high-quality piece of scholarship.  The effort needs a good
leader with an eye for patterns, to guide discussions along promising
paths as they emerge, and to organize the resulting understanding into
a coherent whole.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu