I don't know. If i recall correctly, the help:describe mojo by default works
on the latest version of the plugin being described, when  I use it with
Maven-3.0-beta1. I could be wrong, but that's how I recall tings. So, I
always specify the version [1] when I use help:describe. That way I have
full control of what version of the plugin that will be described. This is
important I think, as there are differences between version of a plugin and
I want to be sure to get the info of the version I'm working with.

/Anders

[1]
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-help-plugin/describe-mojo.html#version