> Update: It is working now. Turning off AVG did it! (... I think I may need
> to figure out why and how AVG affects the mvn downloads, and come up with a
> long term strategy to have both available at the same time, but for now I
> am good!)

I ran into this recently while helping some family migrate from an old
eMachines running XP to a new Mac Mini with the "Migrate to Mac"
wizard software. They had AVG which I had installed a long time ago
and the wizard couldn't get through.

If you check your TCP/IP stack, you will see an AVG Miniport Driver or
something along those lines. Just click the checkbox to disable it.
This is in Networking Properties for your LAN or Wifi device. There
are other things in the list like File and Printer Sharing and Client
for Microsoft Networks. You may be able to manage this via AVG Control
Panel as well.

Wayne