I'm using the release plugin for tagging and branching on CVS projects.
Certain user-specific property files should not be taggeg nor branched, so
I defined checkModificationExcludeList for the release plugin.
This passes the first modification check well, but when it comes to
tagging by scm plugin, maven produces an error

Provider message:
The cvs tag command failed.
Command output:
cvs tag: developer.properties is locally modified
cvs [tag aborted]: correct the above errors first!

        at org.apache.maven.lifecycle.internal.MojoExecutor.execute(
MojoExecutor.java:213)

So am I doing anything wrong or ist the ignore-option useless in
combination with tagging/branching? Can anyone explain the sense of this
option?

Kind regards

Frank