Another option is a multiproject layout.
Guess you have the following layout in svn/git:
--> project a
-----> dependency a
----------> dependency a-2
-----> dependency b
--> project b
----> depdendency c

If you checkout "project a" you receive the dependencies and can right
click on it and import "existing maven modules". This will create all the
projects for dependency a, a-2 and b.