I have an app with a couple of modules, and I use a small parent hierarchy to
define common settings.  In source control, I have a somewhat flat hierarchy,
where the main Java project is a peer of the three projects that define the
parent poms.  I normally check out the individual projects independently and
build them separately.  That works fine.  This morning I tried building the
entire tree and I noticed errors like this:

[WARNING] Some problems were encountered while building the effective model for
groupid:war-project-parent:pom:1.0.0
[WARNING] 'parent.relativePath' points at ... instead of
groupid:java-project-parent, please verify your project structure @ line 7,
column 10

It didn't take me long to figure out that I had to add "<relativePath/>" to my
"<parent>" blocks.  That fixed the problem.

However, it seems odd that I had to do this.  This seems counterintuitive.  The
parent artifact is installed in the repo, it seems like Maven is looking at the
file system and decided I must have made a mistake.  Wouldn't a better
convention be to assume no relative path unless I specified a relative path?