Hi everyone,

I was wondering whether there is a way to utilize certain useful Maven
goals when outside of a particular Maven project's actual source directory
structure. For example, I would like to ask Maven for the effective POM of
an installed artifact.

Why? Because I want to know the classpath fragment (all necessary JARs from
the local repository cache) for a given GAV.

I started writing a script to compute it manually. Current work in progress
is here:
    https://gist.github.com/3762396

However, it would be nice to lean on the Maven command line tool to do the
heavy lifting, rather than doing recursive parsing like my script does now.
I definitely don't want to reinvent all the goodness that Maven provides.
Right now, there are many things the script can't deal with:
   1) downloading missing artifacts from a remote repository;
   2) computing an effective POM for the project;
   3) resolving properties properly from that effective POM...
Just to name a few at the tip of the iceberg.

It seems like many Maven goals (e.g., help:effective-pom, dependency:list,
dependency:tree) would make sense to invoke with respect to a given Maven
project, when outside of that project's actual source folder.

Is this at all possible? Or any alternative suggestion to achieve my goals
here?

Thanks,
Curtis