I had also discovered the difference between the missing vs. empty
"relativePath" element.  Although it was initially disconcerting that I had
to specify an empty "relativePath" element to get what I assumed was the
most reasonable behavior, I can also see the logic of the alternative with
the default value. I prefer to separate the notion of "parent" pom from
"aggregator" pom (a pom with a list of modules), but if you use a strategy
that combines them, then the default value is more likely.