I did try single quotes, unfortunately that did not work either.

I modified the maven script to print out is quoted args variable,
looks like it did some sort of filename expansion with the '*'
character.

When I perform:
echo "0 0 23 * * *" I get:
0 0 23 * * *, as one would expect.

Seems like a bug in the maven script that is creating the QUOTED_ARGS
variable at the beginning of the script.

Billy