On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 09:44:14PM -0400, Ron Wheeler wrote:
> How do you write documentation for something that you have never used
> and have no idea what the options are?

Exactly!

You grumble a bit, pull down the source, and start reading.  This is
horrible and exhausting and often underappreciated, but it's the only
thing that works, it the author won't share his thoughts.

> I have worked on documentation for some projects but I can only go so
> far without the active involvement of the author.
> The biggest thing that I can bring is my ignorance which makes me read
> what is there and ask good questions about WTF does it mean and what
> needs to be said so that someone who did not write it can use it.
> It does require access to someone who can answer those questions.

Hear, hear.  I'm sure that a large part of technical writing is spent
interviewing (not to mention identifying, finding, chasing and
hounding) the people who know that which must be written down.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
There's an app for that:  your browser