On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 03:35:26PM +0000, cody.a.fy...@wellsfargo.com wrote:
> I would argue that to be a competent, modern computer programmer, you DO need
> to learn XML.
>
> There are many powerful things that can be accomplished once you have that
> knowledge.

I tend to agree, but I think that "learn XML" is rather imprecise.

You can learn to read XML in about five minutes, and to write it in
ten.  It's really, really simple.  It also doesn't get you far at all.

What people *do with XML* is often highly complex, abstruse, and
intellectually challenging.  A Maven POM, expressed in XML (which it
always is, externally) can be daunting.  XSD, XSL-T, and a thousand
and one other *applications of* XML each have their own learning
curves, some rather steep and bumpy.

So I'd say, yes, you should "learn XML" if you want to use Maven, but
that's easy.  Learning Maven will require much more effort, but that
effort will be amply rewarded.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.