On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 10:34:39PM -0400, Ron Wheeler wrote:
> Eclipse/STS from the Spring guys (VMWare now) is an Eclipse IDE with all
> of the plug-ins that you need to develop Java (and more).
>
> We started with pure Eclipse but spent so much time fixing up the
> plug-ins with each new version that it affected our productivity.
> Once we found the Spring Tool Suite (Eclipse with all the "right"
> plug-ins) we were in good shape - 1 download and we were back up and
> coding in a few minutes.
>
> I have never used NetBeans so I have no comment about how it helps with
> the original problem(source code location).

NetBeans helps quite a lot.  I've been shamefully spoiled by it and
tend to use it even just to browse code when I have no intent to
develop it.  I've used Eclipse (not STS though) and was happy to see
the back of it after losing too much time to plugins-disease.

I hear that IntelliJ is good with Maven projects too.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.