Hello back :-)

On 4/15/2014 6:50 AM, Peter Lynch wrote:
Hello,

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 12:14 AM, Eric Kolotyluk <eric.koloty...@gmail.com <mailto:eric.koloty...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    I have the following

    <repositories>
    <repository>
    <id>sonatype</id>
    <name>Sonatype Maven OSS Repository</name>
    <releases>
    <enabled>true</enabled>
    </releases>
    <snapshots>
    <enabled>true</enabled>
    </snapshots>
    <url>https://oss.sonatype.org/content/groups/public</url>
    </repository>
    </repositories>

    But when I run maven I get

    [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
    org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.3:site (default-site)
    on project csharp-windows-elevate: Execution default-site of goal
    org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.3:site failed: Plugin
    org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.3 or one of its
    dependencies could not be resolved: Could not find artifact
    net.trajano.wagon:wagon-git:jar:1.0.1-SNAPSHOT in apache.snapshots
    (http://repository.apache.org/snapshots) -> [Help 1]

    /*Why in the world is it looking in
    http://repository.apache.org/snapshots ???*/

This repository is defined in a pom.xml of a dependency.

Yes, the maven-site-plugin was referencing apache/snapshots in its <dependencyManagement> section. Yet another tangle with 'dependency hell'

    So, then I configure nexus to mirror
    https://oss.sonatype.org/content/groups/public and I add to my
    settings.xml

      <mirrors>
        <mirror>
          <id>nexus</id>
          <mirrorOf>*</mirrorOf>
          <url>http://localhost:8081/nexus/content/groups/public</url>
        </mirror>
      </mirrors>

Good idea.

    and then I get

    [ERROR] Failed to execute goal
    org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.3:site (default-site)
    on project csharp-windows-elevate: Execution default-site of goal
    org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.3:site failed: Plugin
    org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:3.3 or one of its
    dependencies could not be resolved: Could not find artifact
    net.trajano.wagon:wagon-git:jar:1.0.1-SNAPSHOT in nexus
    (http://localhost:8081/nexus/content/groups/public) -> [Help 1]

apache-snapshots is not in the public group by default, although it is in Nexus as a repository. You can edit the public group members and add apache-snapshots as a member.

Taking apache-snapshots offline in my Nexus configuration was one of the first things I did, but the problem was stemming from maven-site-plugin.

    I know this to be a lie because when I go through the nexus UI I
    can clearly see the artifact in question in both the nexus index
    and storage. However, for some reason, the artifact pom.xml is
    neither in the index nor storage. When I go to

https://oss.sonatype.org/content/groups/public/net/trajano/wagon/wagon-git/1.0.1-SNAPSHOT/
    I can clearly see the pom.xml with the other files that nexus has
    downloaded. /*Why is nexus refusing to download the pom.xml?*/

Search indexes have nothing to do with an artifact being able to be downloaded.

In cases like this, these article may help you diagnose:

https://support.sonatype.com/entries/21437881-Troubleshooting-Artifact-Download-Failures

In my case, I forgot to add sonatype-oss to the public group in Nexus. A better Nexus GUI would ask the user if they wanted to add a newly created remote repo to the public group. I have been caught by this problem more than once, and the diagnostics around the problem are not very good.

    /*
    */
    Cheers, Eric