Use whatever works best for you.

I have some projects where it is better for me to force them all in
lock-step

I have other projects where I let them run free.

My general rule of thumb: if the modules are in the same GIT repo or the
same Subversion trunk then they all will end up being released as one
"atomic" group, so keep the version numbers in sync. If they are in
different SCM instances then they will be released independently so let
them run free