Hi Thomas,

> it's name cannot be changed because during runtime it is checked and
> if changed a runtime exception is thrown

IMHO, the fact that your third party JAR does that is incredibly terrible.

> Yes, we could change the code with the filename check. But I'm loath
> to do it since it is a 3rd party jar file and we had to do this every
> time a new version is released...

One "big hammer" way to work around this, and other horrible third party
behaviors, is bytecode manipulation using a library such as Javassist or
ASM. Also called "runtime patching," you can make a surgical change to the
stupid exception thrown by the 3rd party library, which will be resistant
to future upgrades of that library. It does require careful use of
ClassLoaders, though. It would be much more ideal to work with the upstream
vendor/developers to fix the problem there.

Regards,
Curtis