When you are using maven together with Eclipse things does not work as I think
you believe from reading your question :-)

The maven compiler plugin always runs on in the compile phase of a maven build.
If you are using Intellij IDEA or NetBeans then the IDE runs maven as it would
be run on the command line and let maven do the build (well IDEA can actually
do its own build, but that is not relevant for this).

Eclipse however always compiles more or less as you type. I have been using
maven with Eclipse for a long time, and to me it seems like it runs selected
maven phases for code generation, etc, but does the compilation itself. With a
maven project Eclipse puts its class files in the maven target folder. I might
be wrong about eclipse doing the compilation, but that is the feeling I’ve got
from using Eclipse with maven. If someone can provide more exact details what
happens when Eclipse builds a maven project that would be really interesting.

I think that the problem with the maven integration in Eclipse is that Eclipse
is centered around that it compiles constantly as you type in the editor. When
you have finished some code that is compilable Eclipse will compile it without
you having to do anything. This collides with ”traditional” build tools like
maven.

Tommy Svensson