Hi Wouter,

Is the top-level POM also the parent pom of the modules? Or only an
aggregator?

If it's the parent, then you have to release it [1], because consuming the
modules later will require the parent POM as a "dependency" of sorts in
order to fully interpolate each module POM.

If it's only the aggregator, then I agree with you that releasing it is
unnecessary. But I don't have an answer regarding whether that is possible.
On the deployment side, it certainly doesn't hurt anything to release it,
but from an SVN tagging perspective I see how it could be problematic. To
avoid that problem, as a wild guess: maybe you could set
suppressCommitBeforeTag [2] to true (and/or other similar configuration
flags) in the aggregator, but false in the individual modules?

Regards,
Curtis

[1] Unless you use a trick like the flatten-maven-plugin:
http://www.mojohaus.org/flatten-maven-plugin/

[2]
http://maven.apache.org/maven-release/maven-release-plugin/prepare-mojo.html#suppressCommitBeforeTag