Hi Stephane,

Apologies up front for my long reply here. I divided into sections to help
break things up.

*== Expected behavior? Or a defect? ==*

> if you expect the parent to override something you've defined
> in the child, that's not the expected behaviour at all.

It certainly _has_ been the expected behavior in my community for the past
5 years. Here is a simplified rundown:

- pom-base is the parent POM for everything, locking down plugin versions,
and managing common dependency versions.
- pom-whiz extends pom-base to manage dependency versions of "whiz"
components.
- pom-bang extends pom-base to manage dependency versions of "bang"
components.
- Whiz-based projects extend pom-whiz to gain dependency management of all
base and whiz components.
- Bang-based projects extend pom-bang to gain dependency management of all
base and bang components.
- Hybrid projects extend pom-base, and import both pom-whiz and pom-bang,
to gain dependency management of all base, whiz and bang components.

In this scenario, because we use "release early, release often" style
development where components are released individually, it is untenable for
the pom-base version to be totally aligned between the most recent
pom-base, pom-whiz and pom-bang releases. I.e.: the whiz developers do not
want to force releases of bang, and vice versa, just to keep all pom-base
versions consistent.

With Maven 3.3, all of the above works in a very nice way. The dependency
versions of base components come from pom-base, while the dependency
versions of whiz components come from the pom-whiz import, and versions of
bang components come from pom-bang. Whereas with Maven 3.4, pom-whiz
(assuming it is declared before the pom-bang import) wins over the pom-base
parent for the base component versions.

There are a couple of ways to avoid this:

- Add an import of pom-base just before pom-whiz and pom-bang, but this was
previously redundant with the parent declaration.

- Split out the dependency version management part of each POM -- i.e.,
create a bom-base, bom-whiz and bom-bang. These boms would all be
parentless, and manage only their own respective component sets. Then,
hybrid projects which want managed versions of both whiz and bang can
continue to import them without inheriting a conflicting set of versions
for base components.

I like the nice separation of concerns which this second solution offers.
But it is more components -- additional complexity which might confuse new
developers.

*== Still a bug in property overrides? ==*

Setting aside the issue above, there still seems to be a bug in property
overrides, as illustrated by my earlier gist:

   https://gist.github.com/ctrueden/a49622e77a65437208feb915a887f929

Here we see that with Maven 3.4.0, setting the imagej.version property to
2.0.0-rc-49 in the <properties> section of the project POM has no effect on
the final resolved version of the associated net.imagej:imagej component.
Whereas with Maven 3.3.9, setting that property does modify the resolved
dependency version.

We all agree that this is a bug, right? If this behavior is not changed, I
expect it will be the source of frequent bug reports once 3.4.0 is released.

*== Build reproducibility ==*

One of the beautiful things about Maven is that it tries so hard to foster
reproducible builds, despite the fact that it draws heavily from the
Internet as needed when building. Releases are immutable, you can pin all
used plugins to specific releases, etc., so that when you build your
project five years later, the same thing is produced as was originally. But
this change in how dependency versions are computed breaks backwards
compatibility in the Maven core itself -- something which (as of this
writing) cannot be pinned via the POM. I can understand the desire for such
core changes between major release versions -- 1.x to 2.x was a big
overhaul, and 2.x to 3.x sometimes required massaging of POMs -- but this
change is happening in a minor version increment.

I do understand that SemVer only promises backwards compatibility of
intended behavior, not _all_ behavior. But I think this case is a very gray
area. The old behavior allowed to have a single POM which acts as a parent
_and_ a BOM -- with the new behavior, this will no longer be practical (see
above).

*== How to avoid this scenario in the future? ==*

I can see that I'm fighting a losing battle here. My community can
certainly cut new releases of all our components which are tweaked to work
properly with Maven 3.4.0. But I am very concerned about the precedent
here: at any point in the future, complex builds which used to work might
stop doing so, even without a major version increment, due to future
changes in the logic of core Maven.

It would be ideal if in the future (something for Maven 4?), as much of
this logic as possible could be pushed out of core and into plugins, so
that they can be pinned in the POM, to promote better build reproducibility.

If you actually made it through this whole thing: thank you for reading.

Regards,
Curtis

--
Curtis Rueden