I do similar to Eric for jenkins.

But also for both developer builds and jenkins, I've got all projects
setup to use the
http://www.mojohaus.org/build-helper-maven-plugin/remove-project-artifact-mojo.html
plugin. With both a default and clean phase execution. So when either
jenkins or a developer does a clean, old artifacts are removed. This I
find stops the need to intervention of having to manually clean up the
local repo.

I've also got a local artifactory instance running inside a vagrant
vm, so i can safely delete my local repo if I've trouble and it can
download what i needs to again. It also helps when working offline or
over a slow internet connection as most things I've already download
previously.

John