Hi,

On 26/09/17 13:02, Christian Balzer wrote:
Hi all,

I have a pom.xml file of a legacy program that declares a dependency
on an Apache Commons' xml-resolver:xml-resolver via dependency
management and a property. The pom file looks essentially like this:

<properties>
   <xml-resolver.version>1.2</xml-resolver.version>
</properties>
<dependencyManagement>
   <dependencies>
     <!-- .. -->
     <dependency>
       <groupId>xml-resolver</groupId>
       <artifactId>xml-resolver</artifactId>
       <version>${xml-resolver.version}</version>
     </dependency>
   <dependencies>
<dependencyManagement>
<dependencies>
   <!-- ... -->
   <dependency>
     <groupId>xml-resolver</groupId>
     <artifactId>xml-resolver</artifactId>
     <version>${xml-resolver.version}</version>
   </dependency>
<dependencies>

This works; version 1.2 does exist:
http://central.maven.org/maven2/xml-resolver/xml-resolver/1.2/

We now wanted to move to dependency ranges, to automatically pull in
the latest minor and patch releases:
https://maven.apache.org/pom.html#Dependency_Version_Requirement_Specification

However, when I change the version range to [1.2,2.0) (i.e. all
release versions from 1.2 inclusive to 2.0 exclusive) I get the
following error message:
[ERROR] Failed to execute goal on project bar: Could not resolve dependencies for
project com.example.foo:bar:pom:1.0-SNAPSHOT: Failed to collect dependencies at
xml-resolver:xml-resolver:jar:[1.2,2.0): No versions available for
xml-resolver:xml-resolver:jar:[1.2,2.0) within specified range -> [Help 1]

I also tried version [1.2] (exact version range) with the same result.
After some googeling, I had a look at maven central's manifest for
that artifact, located at
http://central.maven.org/maven2/xml-resolver/xml-resolver/maven-metadata.xml

It turns out that the metadata only specifies version 1.1:
<versions>
   <version>1.1</version>
</versions>

Is that the reason maven can't resolve the artifact with the
dependency range given?
Does that mean the metadata on maven central is corrupted?

That looks like that.
I have filed in a ticket for that problem.

https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/MVNCENTRAL-2721

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

If so, where do I report the issue to get it fixed?
Is there another way to make this work (e.g. by asking our Nexus
mirror to do some magic)?
And last but not least: are there ever scenarios where previously
published versions are removed from the metadata file on central (but
not the jar files themselves)?

There are in extraordanary circumstances under which this can happen...but it is extremely rare...(Only based on special license issues...)...

I found 9 other artifacts so far that have the same issue...

Which artifacts ? With the above problem releated to the metadata ?

NB: When I run java -jar maven-artifact-3.1.0.jar [versions...] as
described on https://maven.apache.org/pom.html#Version_Order_Testing I
get an error message:
no main manifest attribute, in maven-artifact-3.1.0.jar

This works only from Maven 3.2.5+ not before...

See release notes for detail...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

I'm running Apache Maven 3.3.9 and that's the latest jar in my local
repo. (The docs specify version 3.3.9 for the actual jar.) Do I need
to pull the latest one, or is something else broken there?

Kind regards,
Christian