Hi,

On 01/02/18 14:48, ahardy42 wrote:
Hi All,

as a loyal maven user I appreciate maven for all it does and give kudos to
all the people who helped build it. Thought I'd say that before I ask my
question in case you think I'm trolling.

My main problem with maven is colleagues. I constantly hear complaints about
maven being horrible. Instead of being bothered or dis-inhibiting themselves
from seeing maven as it should be seen, they say "because it is XML".

To be honest if people only say Maven is horrible based on the usage of XML they never understood they can use tools like Eclipse etc. nor have they understood Maven...nor used it in the right way...I learned that very often during my consultantancies.. They are often very astonished that Maven is very good usually they just didn't accept the basics...

nevertheless..

Sometimes I think they'd rather use ant or shell script to do their builds,

I see that a lot...

or just go with gradle or ivy because someone cool mentioned them.

To be honest Gradle yes cool tool but Ivy ? (Hm..I'm not sure)..

Also I have hears stories about users going back to Maven cause you can do mostly everything in Gradle which will be done and in the end it is no more maintainable...in Maven that's not simple to script something etc.. ;-)

This leads me naturally to ask, does anyone have any plans to write a maven
pom reader that can read YAML or even JSON or any other potential non-XML
format?

If you like to use something different you can take a look at:

https://github.com/takari/polyglot-maven

Ruby, Yaml....

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise