Hi Robert,

I used properties because I need to trigger multiple profiles, depending on
whether we’re building the MR jar, and what JDK versions will be needed - and I
can use them to turn profiles off, which I could not do by simply turning on a
profile, as far as I know.

I didn’t consider test jars, and am not familiar with how they are used. Can
you tell me more about them?

At present, the parent POM supports only up to JDK11, and doesn’t handle well
cases where the main jar would be, say, JDK11. To some extent I see this as a
stop gap. It is not clear to me if a better approach would start with an
extension, or if there is any real long-term alternative to putting the changes
into the compiler, surefire, and jar plugins.

Unit testing is the default behavior. Toolchains are used to compile each
version of the code with the correct compiler (since the source/target and
release flags don’t quite duplicate doing so), and then surefire runs the tests
with the jdk used to run Maven itself. Clearly, the documentation is lacking.
But yes, you do need to run the build multiple times, since the code actually
run can vary. If you are using Travis CI, that means that you need to configure
the toolchains explicitly. I have not yet figured out how to do this with both
oracle and open jdk options, since the toolchains seem to require you to make
that choice in the pom, not just the JDK.

Thanks,
Russ