I've been completely unable to get this work. It seems like
altDeploymentRepository just doesn't pick up credentials for whatever
reason.

I've instead taken this approach: In my organization-wide POM, I've
added a profile:

    <!-- Allow deploying to an alternate repository -->
    <profile>
      <id>io7m-alternate-repository</id>
      <activation>
        <property>
          <name>io7m.useAlternateRepository</name>
        </property>
      </activation>
      <distributionManagement>
        <repository>
          <id>${io7m.repository.releases.id}</id>
          <url>${io7m.repository.releases.url}</url>
        </repository>
        <snapshotRepository>
          <id>${io7m.repository.snapshots.id}</id>
          <url>${io7m.repository.snapshots.url}</url>
        </snapshotRepository>
      </distributionManagement>
    </profile>

I then deploy with:

$ mvn \
  -Dio7m.useAlternateRepository=true
                   \
  -Dio7m.repository.releases.id=example-releases
                   \

-Dio7m.repository.releases.url=https://packages.example.com:8443/repository/example-releases/
    \
  -Dio7m.repository.snapshots.id=example-snapshots
                   \

-Dio7m.repository.snapshots.url=https://packages.example.com:8443/repository/example-snapshots/
  \
  clean deploy

I have a <servers> element in settings.xml that supplies credentials for
repositories with ids "example-releases" and "example-snapshots" and
the credentials are picked up correctly by the deploy plugin.

--
Mark Raynsford | http://www.io7m.com