On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 09:34:46PM +0100, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Maven's XML is too element normal for my liking.  Attributes where
> appropruate would be good.

Yes.  But changing now would be quite a wrench, even with tools to
translate the old dialect to the new.  A lot of other code also
understands POM documents nowadays.

> Also deps and GAVs needs a shakeup, IMO:
>
> <deps>
>   <compile>
>      <dep>com.thoughtworks.xstream:xsteam:1.4.3</dep>
>   </compile>
>   <test>
>     <dep>org.junit:junit:4.12</dep>
>     <dep>org.seleniumhq.selenium:selenium-java:3.14159</dep>
>   </test>

Please, no.  <dependency group='org.junit' artifact='junit' version='4.12'/>
perhaps.

> Not being able to grep for specific GAVs is a critical flaw.

Wrong tool.  grep is for text, not structured documents.  Try XQuery.

But this is wandering away from "how can we avoid rebuilding unchanged
stuff?"

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst