> Running `mvn help:active-profiles` does it list your
> build-dist-archives profile in the output?

Nope. It is not shown as an active profile:

Active Profiles for Project
'org.exist-db:exist-distribution:pom:5.3.0-SNAPSHOT':

The following profiles are active:

 - evolvedbinary-release (source: external)
 - mac-dmg-on-mac (source: org.exist-db:exist-distribution:5.3.0-SNAPSHOT)

> Also `mvn help:all-profiles' is it listed their and does it show the
> correct source? so pom or settings

Listing Profiles for Project: org.exist-db:exist-distribution:pom:5.3.0-SNAPSHOT
  Profile Id: evolvedbinary-release (Active: true , Source: settings.xml)
  Profile Id: mac-dmg-on-mac (Active: true , Source: pom)
  Profile Id: java8-runtime-compatibility (Active: false , Source: pom)
  Profile Id: mac-dmg-on-unix (Active: false , Source: pom)
  Profile Id: codesign-mac-dmg (Active: false , Source: pom)
  Profile Id: codesign-mac-app (Active: false , Source: pom)
  Profile Id: exist-release (Active: false , Source: pom)
  Profile Id: build-dist-archives (Active: false , Source: pom)

build-dist-archives is shown above as "pom" but active=false.

So it seems that the default activation is not taking place??? i.e.:
    <activation>
        <activeByDefault>true</activeByDefault>
    </activation>

> If you add duplicate the executions section into your plugin defined
> in the profiles, do you see the plugin executed twice?

I did this and saw no change to the output from either `mvn
help:active-profiles` or `mvn help:all-profiles`.
That plugin is only executed once (presumably because the profile is
not enabled correctly).

> Also what version of maven are you using? 3.6.3? or something older?

I am using 3.6.3.

> Sorry not an answer, just things i would do to try and work out if the
> config is being seen, seen but ignored, or ignored.

No problem. Thanks for taking the time to try and help me :-)

--
Adam Retter

skype: adam.retter
tweet: adamretter