I agree that John's solution is more how Maven is expecting you to do things in
this case.
But it is also more verbose in the submodules and it forces you to repeat
yourself (I really like the DRY principle), since you basically have to
redefine rules.

For me it depends how much you want to manage/maintain centrally (in a root
parent or so) and how much you want override or redefine in the submodules.

Sure, if the rule config is simple, redefinition won't hurt much but if you
have complex stuff, it can become painful to have those configs scattered over
multiple modules.

Just my 2 cents.

PS: Haven't checked, but theoretically you should also be able to prepare all
executions in pluginManagement, but set each phase to none. Then in each
concrete build plugins section you should then be able to bind the executions
you want/need to the right phase.