Maven's declarative nature may be its second greatest strength, following
platform independence and preceding the rich plugin collection.

The lack of any _dependency_ driven flow below the module level -- apparently
typically solved by throwing more modules into the mix just to achieve
sequencing, or trying to use the fixed sequencing of the stages -- may be its
greatest weakness. Note that I'm still having to play games with when site
runs; site depends on code in the package, and the download zipfiles depend
upon site.

Alex grants that if you're pushing declarative build design as a Maven
advantage, _make_ beat you the punch by about half a century, and is fully
dependency driven; its major downsides are that it doesn't have platform
independence and isn't new and sexy and markup language based.

I really expected Maven to handle that better.

So my half-thought is what it would take to change from stages to dependencies,
 and how much of the Maven design would have to be thrown out the window to
achieve it... or at least to draft a prototype that could leverage what's
already been done.

Maven does beat Ant. And it has the plugin tooling and auto-fetch from
libraries. But the lack of dependency-driven execution Bothers me.

Vlad favors Gradle. I don't know if Gradle is better, worse, or just different,
but from what he's said it sounds like it does have the ability to update just
what it must, as make did, and to handle sequences that don't  match the
predefined stage sequences. Maybe it's time to consider crossbreeding.

I may change my mind after further exposure to Maven, but that's my reaction to
what I've seen of it so far and how much help I needed to understand its quirks.

--
   /_  Joe Kesselman (he/him/his)
-/ _) My Alexa skill for New Music/New Sounds fans:

Caveat: Opinionated old geezer with overcompensated writer's block. May be
redundant, verbose, prolix, sesquipedalian, didactic, officious, or redundant.