Struts uses svn externals to place /struts/build/trunk under each
other sub-project, such as core.  (Then a 'current' external to make
it possible to check out all the sub-projects at once.)

The result is a structure like this:
/current/build
/current/core
/current/core/build

Where those two build directories contain the exact same files.

With m1 and the reactor, you could run from current/build/ using

maven.multiproject.basedir  = ../
maven.multiproject.includes = */project.xml
maven.multiproject.excludes = build/*

   and

        <maven:reactor
              basedir="../"
              includes="*/project.xml"
              excludes="build/project.xml"
              goals="dist" />

Then each of the project.xml files extends the project.xml *below* it
in the svn external build directory:

  <extend>build/project.xml</extend>

In m2 it seems I can't have it both ways... build from the top and
extend beneath using the same parent pom in multiple places.

The goal is to be able to check out and build a single sub-project.

I'll spare you my wild guesses at how to make this work and just ask
for advice.  Can it be done, or will the sub-project poms have to
<extend>../build/pom.xml</extend> ?  (Or should it be done some other
way?)

Thanks,
--
Wendy