I agree that a "mavenized" build probably does not need multiple source
dirs. However, for most of us Maven is not the only tool we use. My
use-case for multiple source dirs is to separate XDoclet-generated code.
The Maven build will indeed perform fine with the generated source in
the same directory as the main sources, but consider what happens
outside Maven:

(1) In Eclipse you get everything in a single source dir creating a huge
tree in the Package Explorer. I know it's possible to filter out the
generated source packages but it's not practical unless the
maven-eclipse-plugin facilitates this by excluding them from the view
for me.
(2) When using SCM within Eclipse: because everything is in a single
source dir you need to tell Eclipse (for ALL AND EVERY generated
package) you want the generated sources excluded from SCM. Again, very
impractical. Unless the maven-eclipse-plugin can exclude generated
sources from SCM I want it in a separate directory. This separate
directory can conveniently be excluded from SCM with a single ignore
entry.

Although I have things working like I want using the
build-helper-maven-plugin I'd still like to be able to set multiple
source dirs in the POM as it is much cleaner. I really don't see the
argument against multiple source dirs in the POM either. True
best-practices evangelists can still continue to use (and preach :)
single source directory projects. Nothing is lost with multiple source
dirs, it's just convenience that is gained.