Hello
Jose Gonzalez Gomez wrote:
Problem 1: Whenver building the project, publishing the site, etc. you must
have access to a runnning database in order to perform the tests. I'm
currently running a postgresql database, but it may be cumbersome for users wanting to download and hack the sources. Maybe this could be solved using some kind of embeddable database? Or maybe I could create several profiles
(never done this) and activate database tests only under demand?

In my company we have choosen to create a dedicated schema for running junit tests nightly. It s easier to configure and more secure for data integrity. In my opinion, you should use several profiles and add one for run tests
Problem 2: Having database tests involves having configuration data written
down in some configuration file (the jdbc URL, user, password, etc.
hibernate.cfg.xml) or even in the pom (jdbc driver dependency).
With both maven 1 and maven 2 you can separate clearly the test configuration of the runtime.
It's kind of
putting in the sources of the library some information that may be only of interest to me in my current environment. How to solve this?
I think you sould use a tool which produce some injections of dependencies like spring. It will be easier for you.

Hope this helps
Regards,
Alexandre Touret