I recommend installing with a version number. If the jar is version 2.3,
but they released it as just "useful.jar", I would install it as
"useful-2.3.jar"

If their website or documentation doesn't give a version, but a release
date, you might use "useful-2006.01.23.jar".

Failing all that, you can make up a version, prefixed or suffixed by
your initials, or company initials, to cue you in later that the version
is not official. For example, installed as "useful-jm-0.1.jar" and
entered into the pom.xml as:

<dependency>
  <groupId>org.third.party</groupId>
  <artifactId>useful</artifactId>
  <version>jm-0.1</version>
</dependency>

If anyone has better advice, please enlighten me.

-Ken

Jeff Mutonho wrote:
> But ,can one install non versioned jars , if you wish/ prefer to do so?

= Enterprise Data Services Division ===============
| CIRES, National Geophysical Data Center / NOAA  |