What's the benefit of the tomcat plugin if you can use cargo? ;-)

More seriously the advantage of cargo is that it supports lots of containers
using the same generic Java API, the same m2 plugin, etc. You also get all
those integrations (m1, ant, m2, java, IDEs, etc).

Note that the m2 plugin is only an extension of Cargo and that the core
Cargo is Java API that can be used anywhere (even directly in your
functional tests).

If there's a feature you'd like to see in cargo please talk to us on the
cargo list and open a jira issue for it.

Thanks
-Vincent