> After all, if can't trust your team to stick to approved
> versions of artifacts how can you trust them to write your precious
> business code?

I think it's not a question of mistrusting people, but a question of how can
you help people to avoid mistakes. Even if they use a Maven-based build for
the first time and don't have a M.Sc. in Computer Science or x years of
experience.

If the team *wants* to used unapproved versions of artifacts, of course,
they will be able to do it. But you should help them to not do it by
mistake.

> So, how to you verify instead of lock?
> You have a parent pom that declares and defines all versions of
> artifacts and plugins and in your module poms you declare that you
> want a plugin but you provide no version information.  Then your
> configuration team only needs to check the parent pom against the
> internal standards.

Nice suggestion, I'll think about it for the customer's environment. Anyway,
if you talk about ease-of-use and quick adoption, this is not simple enough.
I am sure that these issues prevent some people from using Maven - and that
was Eric's question.

> NTLM support would help but hey, it's a closed proprietary
> undocumented authentication scheme from Microsoft, you can't expect
> everyone to support it.

Again, Eric's question was what is people preventing from using it. The
reality in many companies is, they do use NTLM.

> As a workaround you can use NTLMAPS on
> sourceforge as a local proxy for any apps that don't know how to
> support NTLM.

Possible, but unnecessarily complicated, and far away from "out-of-the-box".

Regards,
Arne