So, looking into this more (and having created a simple example project to
demonstrate it), it looks like the the aspectj plugin is compiling things
correctly, its just that the tests are being run from the incorrect place.

So, for example, the output of the aspectj compilation goes into

target/classes/...

but the tests run from a folder called

target/test-classes/...

which has the compiled test code, but not the aspectj compiled code. So, if
a test is affected by an aspect, it isn't in this folder.