Can anyone explain the rationale behind this behavior?

Why doesn't maven default to using the highest source and binary versions supported by the JVM with which Maven itself is executed with the configuration only required if you don't want that?

When the JDK reaches version 42.7, will Maven still default to 1.4?

Wayne Fay wrote:
You can put it in the parent "pom" project with complete configuration
etc, but then you also need to include a reference to the
compiler-plugin in the build section in each of your modules.

Wayne