Since I was interested in the same thing, I did a little source code
archaeology, and it appears that one way to accomplish this is to have a
file META-INF/maven/lifecycle.xml in the jar.  I found an example in
maven-2.0.x/integration-tests/maven-core-it-plugin/src/main/resources/...

Disclaimer:  I'm not guaranteeing it will work - someone else that actually
knows the maven internals might confirm this.