<http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-cq10316/index.html?ca=drs->.

> Any recommendations how how to implement this in Maven?

Although I don't 100% percent agree with the article, I believe
technically multiple test case file pattern can be defined for each
sunfire-plugin in multiple profiles.

Thanks, that's an interesting idea and got me thinking...

Ideally, I wish I could annotate tests with a type (e.g.
@Test(type=component) public void testSomeFunction() {...}) and have
the test framework pick the tests out for me.

Lacking above, it's probably a good idea to break tests into multiple
directories based on their type (could be a good idea regardless), and
then simply modify test source directory based on the same system
property your recommended:

<build>
  <testSourceDirectory>src/test/java/${test.category}</testSourceDirectory>
</build>

can I define a default value for ${test.category} in POM and then
override it at runtime with -Dtest.category=<value>?

or is profiles still a preferred way of approaching this and if so, why?

thanks
d.