You can activate profile just only use system properties or java version.
But you can also write small plugin witch will get ${os.name} and then set
to your ${maven.os.family} on initialize phase of build process.

Please read about this in Chapter 5.4.1 in book "Better build with Maven 2"
http://www.mergere.com/m2book_download.jsp