OK.. I just got the answer to my question 2a on this thread... (The rest are
still unanswered).

mvn package -X is the most useful command I found to get at the depenceny
tree. From there.. it was just a matter of excluding the extra jars.
I wish there was a top level exclusion (maybe in the <dependencyManagement>
node where global exclusions could be specified.

Thanks

Pankaj