Bernd, thanks.  That did it, I switched to 4.3.1 and now it all works.
Weirdness.  AFAIK I thought Junit4 begin with @Before but I could be wrong
since 4.x is new to me (I just went to the FAQ and trieed out the test case
just to make sure surefire was working properly and chaos ensued).

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

-aps

On 5/24/07, berndq <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Alexander Sack wrote:
> Dennis, thanks for the tip.  Kinda obvious too...damn...
>
> Okay, so can someone tell me what I need to do to FORCE it to use
> junit4?  I
> specific junit-4.0 in my dependencies (scope is "test").  My parent dom
of
> the whole project has surefire plugin version set to 2.3.  I mean what
else
> do I have to do at this point?

I have this in my parent pom and @Before works for me:

   <dependencies>
     <dependency>
       <groupId>junit</groupId>
       <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
       <version>4.3.1</version>
       <scope>test</scope>
     </dependency>

IIRC early versions of junit 4 did not call @Before on subclasses.
So if by any chance your MyTest class is a subclass of e.g. TestCase
and this was really a bug in junit 4.0 then this might be the cause.

FWIW: I noticed yesterday taht the junit4 runner in eclipse 3.2.2 does
not call @Before on subclases of TestCase.

maybe mvn -X ... gives more information?

best regards
Bernd