Thanks a lot Wayne, that's great help.

It does seem a lot of work to do this for every jar file the project
depends on but I guess I can write a script to do it.

I feel that the documentation for Maven is not that good. Its not very
clear or well structured, making it hard to find what you need,
especially for people who are new to it.

For example, the Introduction to Repositories page
(http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-repositories.html),
which talks about Internal Repositories, contains no information about
using mvn deploy:deploy-file.

There's also hardly anything on this in the Better Build with Maven
book from Mergere.

I think this is a gap in the Maven documentation. But I also feel that
the Maven documentation is weakness in the Maven project generally and
probably hinders it's adoption.

Thanks very much
Andy Birchall