Maven does this so that child module's scm can be defined once in the
parent.

<scm>
  <connection>scm:svn:https://url/project/trunk
</scm>

<modules>
  <module>Child

Then the Child module's scm url is automatically set as:

<scm>
  <connection>scm:svn:https://url/project/trunk/Child
</scm>

Which is the convention for a multi-module project.

If your "Child" project has to be seperate, with it's own trunk, etc. I
would suggest (if svn) using svn:externals to access the child under the
parent project. Since it ownly appends the name on a multi-module project,
I'm trying to figure out how you locally check out your project... perhaps
create a "trunks"-style setup in your version control would be best?

Eric

--
Eric Redmond
http://blog.propellors.net