I'm kinda dancing around a local solution, but how is the rest of the
maven world doing something like integration tests where the tests
require a running instance of the code they're trying to test?

We have things like registry services that we'd like to integration
test, but the tests would require an instance of the actual registry to
be up and running.  The problem I'm seeing with this approach is we'd
have to do something like "mvn install assembly:directory-inline
<integrationtestgoal> site" which seems kinda hokey.

How is everyone else doing this?