Hi Aaron,

Do you use release plugin?

The release plugin should increment the version of the parent pom and the
pom itself for you.

If you have dependencies to sibling pom in your dependencies declaration,
I'd use <version>${project.version}</version> to get around the problem
that the release tag won't increment the version back to snapshot.

Cheers,
rOnn c.

"Aaron Zeckoski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
11/15/2007 09:44 AM
Please respond to
"Maven Users List" <users@maven.apache.org>

"Maven Users List" <users@maven.apache.org>
cc

Subject
How to control versioning across multiple POMs?

I have a series of 3 POMs and I need to be able to control versioning
across them. They are arranged like so:

master POM (parent of) base POM (parent of) project POM

There is one master and one base POM but there are many many project
POMs, roughly 50+ currently with new ones being added

The master POM has a version (as it seems all children must specify
the version of the parent correctly in the parent tag). The base POM
has no version as it inherits from the master. The problem here is
that we want to upgrade the overall version... except that every
project POM specifies the version of either the master or base POM (in
the parent tag). It means we have to somehow coordinate among 50+
projects (which are controlled by various people/groups) and tell them
to all change the version of the parent.

This is not ideal at all and I suspect we are just doing something
dumb or completely wrong. So, how can we control the overall version
for all the projects without having to change all of the POMs?

You can view the source here if you like:
master: https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/master/trunk/pom.xml
base: https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/caret/kernel/pom.xml
sample project:
https://source.sakaiproject.org/contrib/caret/kernel/alias/pom.xml

-AZ

--
Aaron Zeckoski ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Senior Research Engineer - CARET - Cambridge University

DISCLAIMER:
This email and any attachment may contain confidential information.
If you are not the intended recipient you are not authorized to copy
or disclose all or any part of it without the prior written consent
of Toyota.

Opinions expressed in this email and any attachments are those of the
sender and not necessarily the opinions of Toyota.
Please scan this email and any attachment(s) for viruses.
Toyota does not accept any responsibility for problems caused by
viruses, whether it is Toyota's fault or not.